1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Flour
a baking sheet.
2. In a sifter or strainer, combine the
flour, salt, baking soda, cream of tartar, and sugar. Sieve into
a medium mixing bowl.
3. Rub in the butter until the mixture
resembles fine bread crumbs.
4. In a small cup or bowl, beat together
the egg and milk.
5. Add milk mixture and raisins to dry
ingredients and stir until mixture forms a soft dough. (Save the
bowl from the milk mixture with its last drops of liquid.)
6. On a floured surface, knead the dough
lightly, then pat it out into a 1-inch thick round.
7. Cut round into 6 wedges and place on
the baking sheet. Brush the last drop of milk-egg mixture over the
top of each wedge.
8. Bake for 15 to 17 minutes, until lightly
9. Serve warm or at room temperature.